The 26th Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities is a regional service of the Ministry of Culture. Based in Piraeus, its jurisdiction areas include the following municipalities: Piraeus, Keratsini, Drapetsona, Perama, Korydallos, Nikai (partially), Aghios Ioannis Rentis, Tauros, Kallithea, Moschato, Palaio Faliro, Alimos, Elliniko, Glyfada, Voula, Vari, Varkiza, Vouliagmeni as well as the islands of Salamis, Poros and Kythera. The afore-mentioned service commands the archaeological control over its jurisdiction areas under existing legislation, especially that of law n.3028/2002, and by administrative operations with other services. It also bears the resposibility of operation for the Archaeological Museums and sites inside its jurisdiction areas. It also deals with citizens' requests regarding constructing or other activities performed in its region.
The activity of 26th Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities relates to the planning and execution of works of conservation, restoration and promotion for monumets and archaeological sites, conducting excavation research, management of museum objects and generally in the development of academic and administrative work required to support these activities. These activities are allocated by sector as follows:
A. Archaeological Sites
-Work to improve the functioning and image of the archaeological sites of the region:
1. PIRAEUS: a) Ancient theatre of Zea in the grounds of the Piraeus Archaeological Museum b) Kononeio Wall, c) Heaetioneaea gate, d) Urban portals, e) Shipsheds of Zea f) Arsenal of Philon, g) Ancient building blocks inside the modern city area.
2. ELLINIKO: a) Funerary monument in the courtyard of Civil Aviation Service, b) Prehistoric settlement in Aghios Kosmas.
3. VOULIAGMENI: a) Temple of Apollo Zoster.
4. VARI: Funerary monuments
5. SALAMIS: a)Mycenaean acropolis at "Kanakia", b) Peristeria cave, c) Funerary monument in Kolones d) Hellinistic tower in Dragatsoula, Aianteio, e)Kynosoura and Ampelakia peninsula.
6. AEGINA: a) "Aphaea" archaeological site b) "Kolona" archaeological site.
7. POROS: a) Sanctuary of Poseidon at Kalaureia b) Early-Helladic settlement at "Kavos Vassili"
8. TROIZINA: a) Hippolitos Sanctuary, b) Mycenaean vaulted tombs and Middle-Helladic citadel at "Magoula Galatas".
9. METHANA: a)Mycenaean settlement at "Aghios Constantinos", b) Citadel in "Vathy".
10. ANTIKYTHERA: Castle.
B. Archaeological Museums
Proper functioning of the following archaeological museums of: Piraeus, Aphaea and Kolona (Aegina), Salamis and Poros (museum of Kythera under reconstruction).
C. Archaeological control during all kinds of activities (excavations, ground planning, etc.) on the ground and the conduction of excavational research wherever ancient remains are recovered. Processing of cases and on occasion collaboration with central services of the Ministry of Culture and Tourism (primarily with the Directorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities) as well as with jointly responsible Ephorates. Also, on occasion, reference of cases to the Central Archaeological Council or the relevant Local Council Monuments of Attica.
D. Consolidative interventions, conservation works, ground planning where ancient remains are recovered, in collaboration with the relevant central services of the Ministry. b) Conservation and restoration works for sculpture, ceramic, metallic or other finds/artefacts.
E. Issue of permits regarding: Study of ancient material, Photography, Cinematoraphy, Art Events, free admission in Museums and Archaeological Sites.
F. Publication of scientific works of the Ephorate through lectures of its staff and their participation in conferences, as well as with publication of articles in archaeological literature.