As a follow-up to the Second International Conference of Experts on the Return of Cultural Property, held in Seoul, Republic of Korea, 16-17 October 2012, the Hellenic Ministry of Culture and Sports organizes the Third International Conference of Experts on the Return of Cultural Property.
The Conference will be held from Wednesday 23 until Saturday 26 October 2013. The opening ceremony, as well as the procedures of the first day will be accommodated in the auditorium of the Acropolis Museum, while the rest sessions from Thursday 24 to Saturday, October 26, will take place in Ancient Olympia (SPAP Conference Center).
The conference program is divided into two main areas:
• Restitution of cultural goods to their countries of origin and
• Prevention of illicit traffic of cultural goods
More specifically, the main issues to be discussed include:
The points to be discussed include:
• Standardization of procedures for the restitution and return of cultural goods
• Assessment of international and national legislations
• Protection of Cultural Heritage in periods of crisis
• Exchange of experience and know-how through the development of constructive dialogue regarding the prohibition of illegal trade of cultural goods
• Establishment of guidelines for the cooperation between countries and auction houses
• Awareness raising
• Use of New technologies for recording and digitization of cultural assets and creating databases.
The invited speakers are coming from 18 different countries and international organizations such as UNESCO and INTERPOL. They are scientists, university professors and representatives from governments and organizations with recognized validity, years of experience and plenty of relevant publications to their credit, regarding the themes of the Conference.
Moreover, the first day at the Acropolis Museum, there will be special lectures, which will present the positions of the Greek side and of those who advocate the return of the Parthenon Marbles to Greece.